IS Follicular Unit Transplantation the right method for hair regrowth?
Our busy life schedules have not only depleted us emotionally but have also contributed to a poor lifestyle and hair loss is one of the major outcomes. Hair is considered important while one looks for someone's overall personality. So, in order to have a great personality, people try to find as many solutions as possible to combat hair loss and overcome any bald spots on their scalp. There are many temporary solutions that are available, however, the permanent solution is going for hair transplantation. There are two types of hair transplantation- the FUT(Follicular Unit Transplantation) and the FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) method.
What is Hair Transplantation?
Hair transplantation is achieved by removing grafts from the back of the head which are more resistant to hormonal changes and placing it in areas where there is baldness or scanty hair. There are two popular methods used for hair transplantation and one of them is the Follicular Unit transplantation.
What is Follicular Unit Transplantation?
Follicular Unit Transplantation also known as strip harvesting is a method where a strip is cut out from the back of the head and dissected into individual grafts. Overtime, FUT has advanced and unlike the olden times, now the transplant is almost undetectable because they mimic the direction of the hair growth giving it a natural look.
In the case of FUT, the surgeon can transplant thousands of hair graft at once with more impact of the procedure. It is much faster and you have most of the procedure done within a day. However, the area from which the strip is removed might leave a scar which can be easily covered by the rest of your hair.
What is Follicular Unit Extraction?
Follicular Unit Extraction involves removal of individual grafts from the back of the head cutting it one by one and using a specialized machine in cutting and removing it. The process is relatively longer than the FUT and it takes much longer time to complete.
Then the procedure being the same for both FUT and FUE, blades and needles are used in the balding areas after numbing them and grafts are inserted in the sites where the baldness has occurred.
Advantages of the FUT Method
1. It covers larger areas of baldness in fewer sittings.
2. The process has lesser resection rate (grafts that get damaged while removing) which would provide much better results than the FUE method.
Advantages of the FUE Method
1. There are no cuts and stitches like the FUT method, so even if the process is laborious if you want a treatment that causes less pain then this is something you should go for.
2. No scarring.
3. The process is so efficient that the recovery takes really less time and the person can get to work on the next day itself.
Cost of the methods
FUT is more economical because fewer grafts are gathered in lesser time and that making the entire process cheaper than the FUE method.
Both the methods involve surgery hence you need to gauge the advantages and the disadvantages of both the methods and discuss it with your surgeon. It would take several hours to perform the transplant hence it is important to block the date and be completely prepared for it mentally.
In the FUT method after the operation, the scarred wound should be taken care of and the sutures are removed after a week. There will be directions given on the usage of shampoo and how often you need to use it. You need to take good care of your scalp for a few days as swelling is a very common scene post- operation.
You might be given a few antibiotics and even painkillers and could be asked to take a few meds for direct application on your scalp. The grafts are given saline water treatment few days after the transplant. They will eventually fall out and the new growth is seen anywhere from between 3-6 months.
Who should Opt for the FUT method?
1. People who have a larger area of baldness.
2. Who want the procedure to be done soon in just one sitting.
3. People who do not mind cuts, stitches and the scarring which would be covered with the rest of the hair.
4. People who are okay with longer recovery period because the FUT method takes longer time for the scalp to recover than the FUE method.
5. More cost effective and economical.